Friday, November 4, 2011

Newspapers Throughout Time

When I was at the Allen County branch library about a week ago, I decided to pick up another nonfiction book to help fill my quota for the semester. I decided to go with a book on the second world war and so I picked up one by the New York Times. Reading through it, it gave me a sense that newspapers were different back than. Instead of trying to come from an at least partially unbiased approach, the Times back then seems to have been more focused on giant headlines and bold print. Which I can sympathize with since that was probably what enabled them to sell large numbers of papers. It also felt like the world back than was much more cut and dry, black and white, instead of the gray all over with which news organizations must contend with today.

No comments:

Post a Comment