Thursday, September 22, 2011

Game of Thrones not just another Fantasy novel

Game of Thrones was a book that I'd been wanting to read for a long time. When i saw it sitting on the side in the Etymology room, I decided that with nothing else to read, I would finally get around to reading it. I am very glad that I made that decision. Game of Thrones is an intriguing political thriller as well as a fantasy novel. However unlike other sword and fantasy novels that use humor and romance to lighten the mood, Game of Thrones just soliders right on through as a thoroughly dark fantasy novel. The other thing that it does is it adds a human face to the villain, no more is the villain some high over the top evil spirit, or demon, or the like. With human qualities, the villains and heroes are all much more realistic and in a sense more meaningful. The humanizing of fantasy and science fiction has been ongoing for a while, I think this is one of the most successful books in that area that I have read for a long time. For all fans of fantasy I highly recommend this book

No comments:

Post a Comment