Thursday, October 6, 2011

Foundation: What's with all the fuss?

This week I've decided to focus on finishing Issac Asimov's Foundation.Now that I'm about done with the book,  it's left me more confused than ever about the books meaning. While yes, I know that not every book has meaning, and that some people who will read this will say the same thing, "why does it have to have a meaning? Can't it just be just because?", and yes I agree when you talk about popular fiction made for the masses. What I've always heard about Asimov though, was that his books had meaning and that there was a deeper meaning to  his novels, and even years after they're supposed to be profound and meaningful. What I don't understand is, "what is all the fuss about?" In my opinion, the first novel was no more than classy science fiction. I see very little deep meaning in Foundation, it seems to be a replaying of the process by which many claim that all civilizations rise and fall, in this place, the galactic empire takes the place of whatever historical civilization you choose. Is it a lesson to his adopted country America, or one on his native Russia? It's not as if I don't see the parallels the book states. Corruption, over-expansion, and moral degradation, however I fail to see how this guarantees the books position as a highlight of American literature. Maybe its because I haven't read the entire series. Once I finish Second Foundation I'll get back to you all with my impressions of the series as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment