Friday, October 14, 2011

Quarterly

Well so far I've actually surprised myself. I've expanded the types of books I tend to read. While yes there still are the fantasy novels and science fiction books that I've read for a long time, I've now expanded into history books and books on social commentary. I will say that the book that challenged me the most this quarter was Dune. For nearly the first six chapters, I didn't see the book going anywhere. There was no action, no exciting bits. It was all characterization, of characters that really, I wasn't all that interested in to begin with. The book that I found the easiest to read this quarter was surprisingly European History from a World Perspective. While I had to divide the book into sections and read it in chapters stopping for days or weeks at a time, when I was reading it, I found its inferences and ideas intriguing and its commentary on certain events to be quite a departure from what I'd read in other places. I found that I spent a majority of my reading time either lying in bed or outside on the porch overlooking the pond in my backyard. In the next quarter I hope to see myself expanding my reading variety even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment