Friday, October 28, 2011

Wake

Well I'm now starting a new series and I thought that I'd write about my impressions thus far. WWW: Wake is sort of a science fiction novel and sort of not. The basic premise of the book is that a girl who has been blind since birth is given an ocular implant and with that meets and helps form a sentient being that exists entirely on the internet. Named Webmind, it is the internet given consciousness. The book so far has revolved around the actions and consequences of the internet suddenly gaining the ability to think for itself. I find the entire thing quite intriguing in a way. Its not as if I would want the internet to actually gain sentience, but I find the idea of a being existing entirely on the internet interesting to say the least. Another subplot that links in with the rest of the novel is the emergence of a bird flu epidemic in China and its cover-up. The quest of a few Chinese bloggers and hackers to break through the so called, "Great Firewall of China" links directly to Webmind when their efforts to breakdown the wall between China's internet and the rest of the worlds result in an increasingly intelligent internet that because of their efforts has seemed to have gained sentience. I'm really looking forward to the next two books, more than I have of any series in quite a long time. I'll be back with a post when I get my hands on WWW: Watch and WWW: Wonder in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment